8.19.2013

How to Eat Food: Breakfast Roundup

My Fall semester classes start Wednesday. I have so. Many. Feelings about that. Instead of talking about them, let's just talk about breakfast, shall we? I think that's best.



 I've got an 8 am class this semester, which means I've really got to get my life right in terms of a blood sugar sustaining breakfast or I am going to have a shit-fit tantrum every Monday and Wednesday around 8:15. That would be bad timing.

Among the harder lessons I've learned re: breakfast? Toast is not enough. See above warning about shit-fit tantrum. I tend to feel super happy about toast and jam and coffee for about two hours and then I want to cry. So. I've got four breakfast staples in my wheelhouse right now, and I'm on the hunt for more. Here's the rundown:

-Greek yogurt with granola (I love this Earlybird Foods recipe with the olive oil cut in half) and bananas.

-Soft boiled eggs, following these obsessive directions from Wired. With caraway Finn Crisp crackers. Top with salt, pepper and a teeny knob of butter.

-Chocolate cherry smoothie (made in a high powered blender so everything gets really smooth): two handfuls raw baby spinach, one handful frozen cherries, one frozen banana, two tablespoons cocoa powder, 3/4 cup coconut water, ten whole almonds. Advantage: very car-friendly. Drawback: chocolate mustache is inevitable.

-Steel-cut oats and quinoa cooked with dried apricots, topped with chia seeds, flax seeds, toasted almonds and blueberries. I tend to burn through this a little faster  than I'd like, so I'm usually hungry for a snack by 10 am. Is something the matter with me?

In the coming weeks, I'm planning on adding baked oatmeal! and an eggwhite fritatta to the rotation. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a even-blood-sugared Fall! What do ya'll like to eat for breakfast?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Anna, awesome post. I add Brewer's Yeast to my shakes in the morning (while not chocolate, I'd recommend OJ, bananas, frozen strawberries and blueberries, and some spinach). It's a great way to get probiotics without eating dairy (I've been milk free for 2 years and I'm not the biggest fan of yogurt).

    Keep up writing. I love it.

    ReplyDelete